Tuesday, November 18, 2014

[Review] Ruby Red (Precious Stone #1) - Kerstin Gier: Dr. Who Has Nothing On This

Share it Please





In RUBY RED, Gwyneth discovers that she can travel in time. Together with Gideon, another shockingly good-looking time traveler, they monkey about in 18th century Europe and stumble into a very complicated feud that I'm pretty sure nobody will quite get until the second sequel.

What intrigued me: I love time travel!



Great characters

Gier had me from the first second on. Gwyneth, the main character is not only a time-traveler, but can also see ghosts. The thing I like about Gwen is that she's a typical 16-year-old. She's a bit shallow ("omg look my time-travelling partner is hot but has a horrible personality! ... he likes me? Well then holler, let's make out!!"), doesn't overthink stuff and basically has a lot to learn. I like that.

Gideon on the other hand, her extremely handsome companion with the impossibly green eyes and sexy romance-novel-cover-flowy-hair is just not for me. To me, they had absolutely no chemistry and I can not understand why anyone would like this dude. He's not only a cocky know-it-all, but also all over everything that moves. Also it's a bad case of insta-love in here and the second I notice that, I'm completely leaving the harbor, no shipping involved. Aside from the protagonists I think that Gier did a fantastic job with the side characters. I can't wait to find out more about James the Ghost, of course Saint Germain and Lucy Montrose + Paul De Villiers. They're all intriguing characters and I like how every single character in this novel has a backstory.

Too complicated?

When writing about time travel, authors usually make the mistake of making everything so complicated that your head hurts after about twenty seconds of trying to make a sense out of it. Gier does the exact same thing.

Inbetween chapters Gier tries to make it easier for the readers by inserting diagrams that show the family relations - but let's face it, if you need that kind of stuff, you clearly should invest more time into explaining your characters actually are. Also, yeah - if you're going to use a complicated diagram with lots of Latin words in it that nobody understands unless they've done massive research like you, the author, - explain that stuff. 

While I really had a fun time reading this, there were a few slumps. The continuity is a bit off and as a whole the novel doesn't really make much sense. I'm going to have to buy the second and possibly also third one to even understand what the hell is going on and that's just a big no-no.

Rating:

★★☆☆

 



Overall: Do I Recommend?

 If you just want to try out a series and see if you like it, this one is just no good, because you're forced to continue. Don't force me to do anything. I read for enjoyment. So no, if you have too much money, read it. If you're looking for a simple read, stay away from this.





Synopsis:
"Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.""
(Source: Goodreads)


Have you read RUBY RED?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make every blogger's day. Don't be afraid and say something, even if it's just a smiley face or a quick "Hey, I liked this" or "Hey, I didn't like this". Don't be shy! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...