Sunday, March 29, 2015

What I Learned During This Bloggiesta

Share it Please
It's been a fun week with you guys and I'd like to thank everyone that helped their fellow bloggers improve! You guys rock! I have learned so many new things I didn't know before that I decided to put it all in one spot so you (and I) can look back and memorize the important new lessons by heart.





So here's what I learned:

...about The Book Blogging Community
  • It might seem scary at first to talk to other bloggers, but they are all very nice and willing to help
  • It's absolutely okay to go ask a fellow blogger for help
  • Promoting your blog is fine, but don't overdo it
  • Treat your fellow blog the way you'd want yours to be treated and you shall reap the rewards (actually read other blog posts and write comments that make sense and people will notice you)
  • Social media is cool, try to make friends and don't be shy
  • We want to get to know you, so be yourself.
  • Other bloggers are your friends, not your rivals. 


....about Blog Design
  • Pop-ups aren't nice
  • Have a proper comment system! (Disquis, Wordpress, but DON'T use IntenseDebate, nobody likes it)
  • If you have CAPTCHA and you're wondering why you don't get comments: There's your problem.
  • You have to declutter your side bar. Just do it.
  • Make compromises. What you like isn't necessarily what's the most practical for your blog.
  • Less is more


...about My Personal Blogging Experience
  • Taste varies, but there are a few rules you have to follow
  • Listen to your fellow bloggers, even if you might be hesitant about their advice. They're usually right.
  • Blogger burnout exists- don't stress yourself
  • You don't have to live up to anyone's expectations but your own
  • Scheduling is your friend



Other Spring Bloggiesta Posts:

I can definitely say that this Bloggiesta was a success for me and that I'm definitely going to participate again next time. Thank you all for making this a great experience. 

What did you learn?

Are you planning on participating in the next Bloggiesta in June?

23 comments:

  1. Ohh, I like this recap of advice! YAY. I pretty much agree (although I don't mind IntenseDebate, hehe, but WP wins for best commenting platform for sure) and your book community tips are GOLDEN. LOVE.

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, WP has the best default system. I'm pretty jealous that I didn't decide to host my blog there in the first place. (*shakes fist angrily @ Blogger*) Thank you, it's not all my accomplishment though, the bloggiesta people came up with most of these, I'm just recapping. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be a handy list to refer back to. I never manage to get posts scheduled ahead on any sort of a regular basis. I should put a Post-It saying "Scheduling is your friend" on my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Definitely. i didn't do it before either but I sat down during one of the bloggiesta days and scheduled some original content and a few memes up until July!! I'm going to have one hell of a cushion of blog content in case i get lazy. I can just recommend doing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen@My Friends Are FictionMarch 29, 2015 at 3:33 PM

    Blogger burn-out is all to real. I've been suffering off and on and it's always because I put too much pressure on myself. Why do I keep doing that to myself? I still haven't been able to schedule ahead. I have no clue why I struggle so much with that! Love these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth BogardusMarch 29, 2015 at 4:13 PM

    I likecthe way you categorized the areas of growth in your post. This was my first Bloggiesta, and I definitely plan to participate in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I like how you summed up the week in terms of what you learned. Thanks! Here's my


    BLOGGIESTA POST

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! It was my first, too. Well, weren't we lucky that we signed up for our first bloggiesta precisely when it was the one time that they did it for a week ;) Had so much fun, I just love the idea behind this whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you learned so much! I had a great time with Bloggiesta. I'm glad it was a week this time around. I got so much done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Let's keep that up and be as productive as we were this week. Maybe soon we won't need Bloggiesta anymore to do that...? Well, as if. :p Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! I agree with quite a bit of this- especially the kindness of others- don't be afraid to reach out, the community is SO nice! And pop ups ARE kind of awful ;) And don't get me started on CAPTCHA... it makes my eyes hurt! Very nice post, sounds like you gained a ton of great information :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I am in the process of redoing my blog, lots of great points there!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you learned a lot of great things. I so agree about the commenting system! Disqus is my absolute favorite!! Especially because I get an email when there's a response. Otherwise I'll ask a question and never get an answer because I forget to check back. Great post!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you. Oh my god yes they are. Nothing beats auto-play music though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you! ill make sure to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely! I mean it was nice to have your comment notification thing in blogger, but the comment system is just plain awful. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy you had a great first Bloggiesta. I've participated in a few, and I love that this one was a week long. And yes to scheduling!!! Reaching out can be scary, but so many friendships have been made because of the book blogging world. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. It should be every time. I have no idea how I'm going to get anything done in the next one. Two days?! Dear God.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for joining in the fun! Glad you had such a great time. Here's to blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you for hosting it! looking forward to the next time!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad that you had a successful Bloggiesta! And I couldn't agree more about how nice our fellow bloggers are. I haven't met one yet who wasn't nice and willing to help someone out! I'm still working on some of my goals, but was pretty productive thanks to having an entire week to work on things. Already looking forward to the next one!

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Same here, I'm already so excited for the next one, by far one of my favorite bookish events I've participated in.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make every blogger's day. Don't be afraid and say something, even if it's just a smiley face or a quick "Hey, I liked this" or "Hey, I didn't like this". Don't be shy! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...