Saturday, May 23, 2015

[Review] Hourglass (#1) - Myra McEntire

Share it Please
In HOURGLASS, Emerson Cole finds out that her ability to see "the dead" is linked to time travel. Together with Michael Weaver, a consultant posing to help her get over her issues with mental illness and hallucinations, she learns more about the secretive organization called Hourglass that specializes in training people with abilities like her.

Doctor Who Meets RUBY RED

The premise reminds me of a mixture between RUBY RED by Kerstin Gier and Doctor Who, and I love it. I absolutely love mind-confusing twists and alternate story lines that make your head hurt if you try to make sense of them. Time paradoxons and worm holes are not something you see in YA every day. I have so much respect for every author that attempts to tackle the topic of time travel because you can easily mess this up by being inconsistent.

Michael Weaver is obviously not only Emerson's consultant but also her love interest. They are drawn to each other from the minute they lay eyes on each other and the tension is pretty ... well, intense. 

It's Impossible to Dislike Emerson & Michael Together

For once I'd love to read a YA novel in which the main characters fall in love with each other because of their personalities, not because they find each other super attractive. Yes, there is some mumbo-jumbo explanation for the fact that they are two parts of a whole. Why is it always like that? Why can't the protagonist fall in love with a love interest for once that s/he isn't immediately drawn to because of their outer appearance?

However critical I may sound, I absolutely loved this novel and I could not put it down. It's somewhat of a guilty pleasure, there are so many things that I'd usually heavily criticize, but I just couldn't in this one. I love Emerson's character voice, the setting, the idea and the concept of time travel mixed with a very unique love story. I'm bickering about the romance a little, because it's very obvious that they are destined for each other and I'm a little tired of that.

Emerson and Michael spend so much time with each other that it's very hard to go through all those pages without even liking them a little as a couple. I felt like the romance was forced on me and I had no say in whether I want them to be together or not. In that respect, McEntire does a great job. If I actually think about it, I would rather have seen Emerson with somebody else. More screen time apparently equals more chemistry.


Rating:

★★★

 

Overall: Do I Recommend?

I'm very surprised that I loved this. I absolutely fell in love with the concept and I can't wait to read the sequels and I can't wait to learn more about the physics of time travel. It's a fast-paced dynamic story about love with a dash of time travel. Beware of the plot twists - you won't see them coming! I'm very glad I decided to read this.


Synopsis:
"One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should've happened?"

What's Your Favorite Novel About Time Travel?

9 comments:

  1. You definitely should consider getting this if you like time travel and YA! Thank you, I followed right back, love the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just seen this book for review on another site, way less favorable review. I was actually recommended this title so I hope to read it and feel the same as you did. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I was definitely entertained. I hope you'll like it! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm more familiar with the second book cover at the bottom of your post, so it took me awhile to connect the dots lol. I was sitting here going wait, but isn't there another book with the same title and same plot? It's been one of those days let me tell you! Anyway, I completely agree with you that the whole concept of time travel can be easily screwed up. Also agree with you about falling in love with looks and not character traits or personality traits. If you kind of think about it though that's reality for us these days. Walk down a high school hallway and you will hear only things about someone's "hotness." What happened to intelligence, humor, chivalry, etc? Are those still a thing or nah?

    Meredith @ A Book Lover's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really?? That's the most frequently used one, that's why I always make sure to add a second one aside from my edition's cover.


    Well, that's high school. As you get older, it won't matter as much, at least that's what I learned. I've never been superficial though. For me they are?? I'd GLADLY give up a six-pack and an adonis jaw line for someone that makes me smile and has a an IQ above 70. But yeah, it's still YA and the main target audience will always be younger girls and that's just what they fall for. I'm not saying that that's okay. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesss it's so true, I can't connect with many YA romances because they often focus on the physical aspects of the love interests. Loving the sound of the two personalities complimenting one another! Glad to hear you enjoyed the scientific stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally someone who agrees! I tend to rather dislike a love interest if they're described as super attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa!
    Never heard about this book, but now I'm really interested on it.
    Time Travel + Ghosts + Doctor Who + An amazing cover? I'm in.
    And about the romance: that's one of the reasons I started to avoid the more popular YA nowadays. It's generally too forced and focused on love-at-first-sight and omg-he's-so-pretty. But if this one is more focused on their personalities, I guess that won't be a turn down for me :D
    I loved you review, thanks for adding one more book to my TBR u_u

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! That's always great to hear! I mean in this one I was really amazed at the whole concept of time traveling so the romance didn't bug me thaaat much as it would've without an amazing plot.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make every blogger's day. Don't be afraid and say something, even if it's just a smiley face or a quick "Hey, I liked this" or "Hey, I didn't like this". Don't be shy! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...