Thursday, June 18, 2015

[Recommendation] Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Share it Please

In READY PLAYER ONE, a world-wide phenoma has taken over the lives of all people: OASIS, a virtual utopian reality in which everyone can be what they want to be is what most people spend their days playing.

What intrigued me: I decided to give this a try because everyone I know is absolutely smitten with it.

Extremely Addicting Storytelling

Cline has a very pleasant and engaging writing style. His writing is very fast-paced and he manages to build a lot of tension with his words. His biggest strength is definitely world building and plot. He makes the possibility of a future defined by a virtual reality game seem scarily realistic. I absolutely fell in love with the idea.
The novel needs about a hundred pages of introduction until it absolutely sucks you in. The second Wade finds the first clue, I was hooked and couldn't put the novel down. The pages flew by and I craved to find out what happens next! READY PLAYER ONE reads like a fast-paced action novel, without exhausting fight scenes. Even without knowing a single game mentioned in the novel, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! I can't even explain how this novel and its world are so, so realistically portrayed and interesting that you don't want to put the book down. I needed about six hours - for a 500 page book. I'm not even a fast reader.

Strong World Building That Gets You Hooked

Wade is a very stereotypical underdog-kind-of character with a tragic past who lives in an abusive loveless household. The only thing that brings him joy is the virtual world of OASIS. He doesn't have any friends or close relationships in real life, which leads to him being absolutely dependent on OASIS and spending every waking minute with trying to find the easter egg. To me, his relationship to fellow hunter Art3mis wasn't really necessary. I'm not as fan of romance plots on the side.

Even though Wade has "known her" for a long time through her blog, they seem to fall in love too quickly and almost instantly. It just doesn't seem realistic for these two to fall for each other. Even though I wasn't a particular fan of Art3mis and Wade personally, I can't deny that their relationship is just adorable. I'd rather have seen him fall for his best friend Aech, with whom Wade has more chemistry and way more interesting conversations. Their interactions are super dynamic and extremely fun to read. The prose isn't what makes READY PLAYER ONE so special, but it's the lively dialogue and the extraordinary world building.

I'm just absolutely smitten with everything about this novel. There are some things that don't necessarily add up, like Wade having so little trouble with the hints even though everyone has been looking for them for years; or him getting out of the resulting trouble very easily. Regardless, this is an impressive read and outstanding for a debut novel. I don't usually read novels with action plots and gaming pop culture references, especially not about the 80s. I'm absolutely baffled and surprised that I loved this novel. I wouldn't mind a sequel.

Rating:


★★★

 

Overall: Do I Recommend?

READY PLAYER ONE is definitely a very unique and interesting read. I can even imagine this being in turned into a super interesting and action-packed movie! As a child of the late 90s/00s, I wasn't really able to identify a lot of the novels, music, and games mentioned, but regardless, it was a great read. I absolutely recommend the novel to every gamer out there, and especially children of the 70s and 80s. I enjoyed every minute of reading this.




Additional Info

Published: March 26th 2012
Pages: 512
Genre: YA / Dystopia
ISBN: 9783764530907

Synopsis:

"It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. 

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them. 

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig. 

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle. 

Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape. 

A world at stake. 
A quest for the ultimate prize. 
Are you ready?"
(Source: Goodreads)



Would you want to live in a virtual reality?

6 comments:

  1. Bunnita @ Worth Reading It?June 18, 2015 at 2:01 AM

    Sounds interesting. Never heard of it before, it's going on the tbr list

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't think it was something for me because I'm neither an 80s kid nor particularly fond of gaming. Pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ""Ready Player One" reads like a fast-paced action novel, without exhausting fight scenes. " I love this! Plus I love all things 80s. Defintely has me intrigued and will check out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you'll love it! I hope you check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kirstymariejonesstudioreadsJune 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM

    Unique, addictive and strong world building? YES! I heard a lot about it last year but still never picked it up, will have to soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make every blogger's day. Don't be afraid and say something, even if it's just a smiley face or a quick "Hey, I liked this" or "Hey, I didn't like this". Don't be shy! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...